Affiliate marketing is basically in short, selling others’ products as an affiliate. An affiliate is like an independent salesperson that gets a commission on each completed sale. You can be an affiliate of many affiliate programs or just one. It’s your choice. And you can sell anything online from physical products like DVDs, vitamin supplements to digital products like ebooks and music MP3 files.
Becoming an affiliate is not a difficult task on the internet. There are dozens of affiliate programs online that accepts almost everyone into their program. And registration is in most cases, free.
The job of the affiliate is to expose the product to potential buyers. Making the sales however does require some work on your part as an affiliate. The whole marketing process can be an interesting one albeit challenging for some.
Different affiliate programs follow different models.
- Cost Per Action (CPA) model pays you for specific actions and it can be simple form submissions, downloads, surveys, etc.
- Cost Per Lead (CPL) model pays for leads and it’s usually a “signup” that involves email or credit card verification (because it makes the lead more valuable).
- Cost Per Sale (CPS) model pays for actual sales and it means they share a percentage of sale value with you.
- Cost Per Click (CPC) model as you probably know pays for “clicks” — no matter whether your referral traffic helped them generate a lead/sale or not.
Here are the major Affiliate programs:
- CJ Affiliate (Commission Junction) is the most popular affiliate network.
- Rakuten Affiliate Network.
- Affiliate Window.
- eBay Enterprise Affiliate Network.